It has been one month since I’ve posted on this blog. This is a serious party foul in the world of blogging. Normally whatever I do takes a bit of a hiatus during the last month of school, but I was hoping to have some easy posts up during that time, so I’m sorry for falling through on that. When I came back to my blog just one week ago I got a notification that I had been nominated for the Liebster Award by Naomi Maharaj at LaughingMom.com! A big thanks to her for the nod, to all the people who have visited this site and stayed faithful even in the emptiness of the past few months, and to all the bloggers on WordPress who support each other through things like these awards.
In German, Liebster means many wonderful things such as sweetheart, dearest, pleasant, kind, and lovely. As such, the Liebster award is for new bloggers whose blog embodies these qualities. In essence, it is a way for new bloggers to support other new bloggers; in being awarded the Liebster Award someone is telling you that your posts are interesting, and to keep at it. You then pay the recognition forward. – Laughing Mom
I’m not sure I can fully count as a new blogger. I’ve been blogging for just over two years now, although I’ve never been consistent. It all started with The Work of Art Blog (which was a mistake, since it made me sound like a lame fitness blog and almost gave me an unfortunate nickname: two-ab). In the summer of 2010 I created that blog as a way to get a press pass for the Vancouver Folk Music Festival. It worked, and I fell in love with blogging. Of course, life gets in the way, my scope and self-imposed “rules” were too far-reaching and vague, and I started to become disillusioned. Cue this blog.
In January 2012 I packed up and changed addresses. BefasterBlog (or @befaster, befasterblog, BeFasterBlog or however else everybody has called it) was born as a freer, more “me” blog where I could post about things I actually wanted to write about (postcards, Dr. Who, travel, photography…). And now we’re here, so stop talking and get on with the show!
The rules of the Liebster Award, since I choose to accept it, are to link back to the person who nominated me, list 11 random facts about myself, answer 11 random questions posted by the nominator, create 11 questions for my nominees, and nominate 11 other blogs for the Liebster Blog Award. Here goes!
11 Random Facts About Myself
11. The first CDs I ever owned were Simon & Garfunkel’s Greatest Hits, Barenaked Ladies’ Born on a Pirate Ship, and Hell Freezes Over by The Eagles. All were given to me at Christmas by my mom. My musical tastes haven’t changed much since!
10. I’m a fourth generation Vancouver Islander and was almost a fourth generation Victorian, but was born in Campbell River instead.
9. I first started watching hockey in the 2001 Stanley Cup Final (Burnaby Joe Sakic is my favourite player) and I still cry if I watch the 2002 Olympic Gold Medal game.
8. My nickname in baseball was Star. Not because I was great, but because as a kid I signed my name Ben ☆.
7. I am fascinated by Steam punk, cosplay and the people who do it, but I’d prefer to just watch.
6. I cannot stand scary movies. I’d much rather get my thrills with good suspense, not slashing some poor sex symbol.
5. There is a squirrel watching me as I type this. He lives in my backyard and makes me laugh almost daily.
4. I worked in Normandy for my first co-op in the summer 2011. Best opportunity ever!
3. I have had 50 stitches in lifetime, ranging from accidents with axes to surgery for extra bones in my hands.
2. I wish I was more creative. I am pleased with being a half-decent bassist and enthusiastic amateur photographer, but my greatest dream in life would be to improvise in music, draw/paint, or write great stories.
1. There are very few things that make me happier than reminiscing with the Tintin comics, watching classic TNG episodes, or listening to new music.
Answer 11 random questions from nominator.
11. What is the first thing you do every morning? Usually it’s check my phone to see what I missed while I was asleep. Much worse now that I have twitter (follow me @benfaster)!
10. Favorite family activity? My cousins and I used to play some wicked games of Dutch Blitz as kids. I’d have to say that is one of my favourites.
9. Rain or Snow? We get so much rain here in Victoria, so I’ll say snow, even though there is nothing better than the first fall rain of the season.
8. What is your greatest accomplishment? Working in Normandy, or some of the academic awards I’ve received.
7. What would you do with a million dollars? Buy a DC-3 and fly around the world making a documentary about the people I met along the way. Still might be short a few hundred thousand dollars though…
6. What is your favorite movie(s)? Roman Holiday. No other choice.
5. If you were invisible where would you go or what would you do? Naomi had a good idea of travelling, but I’d probably just follow my friends around until I get bored!
4. Favorite song/artist? Far too many too choose from, but Bruce Cockburn has to be one of my favourites. His song “If A Tree Falls” is excellent.
3. If you could go on vacation anywhere right now where would you go? Back to Europe, there’s a few things I missed and want to see.
2. If your friends had to describe you in one word what would it be? Amazingtasticfun. My friends make up a lot of words.
1. What is your pet peeve? I have two. 1) Girls who won’t take a compliment. Ladies, if a guy compliments you, please simply say thank you and accept it. Not every guy has ulterior motives, and the ones who actually take the time to compliment you properly won’t have ulterior motives. Sometimes we just like to give a compliment, because you deserve it, or we’re trying to be nice. A guy giving you a compliment is not man-speak for “insult me please” or “ignore me completely.” 2) People who have no consideration for other people’s beliefs or feelings, especially when they know about them and go out of their way to bring up something they know will offend them. For example, I’m a Christian. I know this, you know this. I don’t preach to you so don’t preach to me, and since I try not to offend you for your beliefs, lifestyle or actions, please don’t go out of your way to do that to me. If you think it will offend me/others, why say it in the first place? Did you listen to your mother? “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all!”
Nominate 11 other blogs.(This was a slight problem for me because as I mentioned, I’m not on here often enough to get the full community vibe. So here are some great blogs I follow or have come across in the past and have liked. Shows a lot about what I like to see in a blog! This is in no particular order.)
11. Jana Obscura – a great blog about pinhole and innovative film photography out of Seattle – http://janaobscura.com/
10. Palisadespete – 10 facts about…everything – http://palisadespete.wordpress.com/
9. Everywhere Once – travel blog, not necessarily new, but great idea. Super jealous! – http://everywhereonce.com/
8. Aims Photography – one of my first WordPress connections – http://aimsphotos.wordpress.com/
7. Bagni di Lucca and Beyond – one of my favourite travel/photo blogs – http://bagnidilucca.wordpress.com/
6. The Analogue Eye – amazing film photos from Orange County – http://theanalogeye.wordpress.com/
5. Hovercraft Doggy – a great daily “fun” blog that always cheers me up – http://hovercraftdoggy.com/
4. Walking Around with a Camera – the recent post about Mestia is astounding – http://mikerenner.wordpress.com/
3. Obsolescence Project – Love the cataloguing and old things – http://obsoproject.wordpress.com/
2. Books, j’Adore – Love the interesting reads, and the great descriptions – http://booksjadore.wordpress.com/
1. World of Stamps – I need to have at least one postcard blog on here! – http://worldofstamp2.wordpress.com/
My 11 questions for my nominees:
11. What’s your favourite season of the year and why?
10. If you had to go anywhere in the world tomorrow to get lunch, where would you go?
9. Movies or books?
8. If you weren’t doing the job you’re doing now, what would you be doing?
7. If you could have any superpower, what would you choose and why?
6. What is your favourite movie(s)?
5. What musical instruments can you play?
4. Favourite sport?
3. Mac or PC?
2. What are your nicknames?
1. If you had to be one of the following, would you rather be blind, deaf, or mute?
Thank you everyone, and happy blogging!